Tuesday, November 6, 2007

IMBI Chapel - 26th October 2007


Whew... Its like 2 weeks since I went visiting this chapel and I haven't blogged about it.. Oh well, now I shall blog it... Hmm... Imbi Chapel was the first visit after I was released from the medical center. Due to appointment with the doctor on the 22nd, I had to miss the visit to the Mandara Spa in the newly opened Pavilion. But thank goodness I missed it... Heard that it was boring... Well, Imbi chapel IS located at Jalan Imbi..*Like DUh* Its one of the oldest chapels you can find in Malaysia and which is still located in KL city itself. Located Behind Pavilion, this chapel sits almost in the middle of the city and is somewhat a brethren church movement.. Don't ask me, I am not sure what is that myself. One of the elders, an architect (sorry, forgot the name) is the guide of the trip and is also the architect in-charge of the refurbishing and also the extension of the new building..
Uniquely, Imbi chapel is also a community chapel. Meaning anyone can use the place... The movement believes and follows everything in the Christian bible. They do not believe in the use of symbols like cross or angels in typical churches, only the Holy Communion. Can you believe it? The chapel did not have air-conditioning till only recently for they want the congregation to be able to worship and praise anywhere. Funeral, weddings no matter what the situation 9weather wise), the chapel can be used one day for the wedding, the next day is a funeral. Wait wait... Let me show you the pictures of the chapel first... SO you can understand what I am saying.



This is the exterior of the chapel.. Charming isn't it?



These chairs date back 40++ years... Wait no.. 100++ years.....
Serious...


Interior of the old building...

This is the original chapel dating back to the1960s 1 and is the place where I said earlier about weddings and funerals. NO! these two do not happen at once.... HAHA.... After an hour or so of intro to the history of the chapel and the new building, the architect showed us the original plans and model of the new building... Not bad I should say.. He is one of the last few architects in Malaysia who still draws by hand...


The model...

The contrast between the new and the old is so unique in a sense where words cannot describe it. Its not a disaster, that I can assure you. In my view, the new and the old expresses acceptance to the change in life... Though it may look like a modernist architecture, the structure is known as the rationalism architecture where the architects literally follow the term "Form follows function". HAHA... For those who do not take architecture.. Sorry.... Maybe you can learn something too.. Rationalism architecture is very rare.. Because Humans are somehow rather extravagant... So everything we create is extravagant... Well,I find mostly everything extravagant.. Even the LaLa and Ah Beng's choice of clothing..Blerks...
Ok ok... back to the post... Though from the outside, the structure may look simple to some, the internal spaces really caught my eyes..

I love the cafe.. A mini vine garden... Wei weit...


Wonder what is everyone looking at.....


Never mind then... Up the stairs we go.... It feels so white... HAHA.... Love the contrast of the clothes with the white back ground...


The cafe seems a bit dull... Not much furniture...
BUT....

The garden.. the vine garden is surrounding the cafe... giving it a natural shade and coolness....

The best shots are candid shots... More natural.... Don't you think???

Next stop... The chapel's library... Very spacious... Very bright.... Its Quiet!! SHhhhhhh..... Oh yea... Its a library... But no one seems to care...


If this was Taylor's Library... it will be weird... Taylor's library=always buzzing....


Random pictures... Feel proud of these pictures...... WHy? I dunno too....

Well, the best surprise is yet to come... From all the site visits which I ever gone too, this is the first place to every provide us with lunch.. And it was actually not bad.... Thank You Imbi church!!

Mmmmmm~~~~~ Delicious......

I like to end this post by showing the peacefulness of the chapel... Cos I feel like sleeping too... HAHA................

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I worshipped at this chapel 40 years ago. The congregation loves the Lord and the Word of God. Many wonderful people. Thank you fort he pictures. God bless jalan Imbi Chapel.